Monday, August 1, 2011

The persuasive power of a good vocabulary



Juniper: I'm Lightning Girl and one of my powers is I can turn into a beetle that crawls. You can have that power too. Want me to show you?

Sally: Not right now, Juniper. We're eating dinner. You can be a beetle that crawls after dinner.

Juniper: But I can turn into a beetle and crawl.

Aaron: Please sit in your chair, Lightning Girl. You can show us your beetle power after dinner.

Juniper: Did you know that Lightning Girl can turn into a beetle that crawls? I can show you.

Sally: I would love to see how Lightning Girl can turn into a beetle after dinner.

Juniper: But I'm very excited and very eager to turn into a beetle.

[Grownups unsuccessfully attempt to suppress smiles and make eye contact with each other, both giving a small nod of agreement.]

Sally: Juniper, I think maybe I am very eager to see you turn into a beetle.





The first part of that conversation is a reasonable approximation of what was actually said, but the line about being very eager is a direct quote. Pitching a fit and whining wouldn't have done it, but we cave when confronted with good vocabulary words (correctly used, of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment