Tuesday, November 20, 2018

At the table



"Juniper, please sit correctly in your chair" is a common refrain in our dining room. Right now, I look at this picture and feel exasperated by the wiggling and the perching and the crumbs that are inevitably falling onto the floor. I suspect my future self will look at this picture and see only a beautiful image of Juniper exactly as she was at a particular point in time.

In N.K. Jemison's terrific Inheritance trilogy, the god of childhood is irresistibly drawn to kids who are wiggly and bratty, playful and smart, self-absorbed and innocent, defiant of adult rules and absolutely true to their childish nature. As I read about his attraction to these mortal children, I couldn't help thinking how much he would adore Juniper.


No comments:

Post a Comment