Thursday, July 8, 2010

Toddler obsession



Juniper recently got a hand-me-down dollhouse from one of my co-workers, and she absolutely loves it. (She says a big "thank you" to Miss Cam and her daughter Sarah.)




The only downside to the "little house" is that Juniper is a bit obsessed with it. She wants to play with it constantly and is sad when she can't (stupid bedtime and mealtime and bathtime getting in the way of her fun). Before bed this evening, she negotiated being able to look at it "for just a moment, but not touch it." She lay down on her belly in front of the dollhouse, with her chin in her hands and her legs kicked up, looking at it longingly for about 30 seconds before getting into bed. Lying in bed after lights out, she told Aaron, "I can still see my dollhouse in the dark." Note to self - wait until the weekend or some other long stretch of uninterrupted play time to pull out amazing new toys. We're hoping that giving her the opportunity to play with it for as long as she wants on Saturday will help take the edge off of her obsession.




Note her somewhat bleary eyes in this picture. The morning after she got the dollhouse, when I went in to get her out of bed, the first thing she said was, "I want you to get me out of bed, and change my diaper, and then I can go play with my little house." In less than 10 minutes, Juniper went from being in bed to being fully dressed and playing with her little house. (Normally, that process is a series of negotiations that takes much longer than 10 minutes.)




Ta-da! It all fits inside the house!!

No comments:

Post a Comment