Thursday, August 21, 2014

The biggest nerd I know




This evening while Aaron was putting the girls to bed, Juniper came out in tears that she wasn't getting to do her Bedtime Math problem. As Juniper explained it, she and Aaron had a "misunderstanding" about whether Juniper was helping Hazel with her problem, or doing Hazel's problem for her. I was predisposed to be sympathetic to Juniper because Aaron and I had just finished a conversation about how this year's new school schedule leaves her with appallingly little free time during the week.

Juniper (tearfully pleading): Maybe tomorrow, if we have some extra time, I can do my problem from today?

Sally: If you get ready quickly in the morning, you can absolutely do your bedtime math problem in the morning.

Juniper (still crying, but now somewhat hopeful): I know, maybe on Saturday, when I don't have to get ready, I'll have time to catch up! I can do all my problems on Saturday.

Sally: Honey, Dad and I were just talking about plans for Saturday. You can do whatever you want on Saturday. If you want to do math problems, you can do lots of math problems. If you want to go to Fernbank [the science museum], we can go to Fernbank. If you want to do both, we can do both. You're going to get to pick what we do on Saturday.

Juniper (post-cry whimpering): I wanna do both. I wanna do math problems and go to Fernbank on Saturday.

On the way out of the room, she spotted a new game Aaron's company is developing and added board games to her plan for the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment